The Last three weeks Tash bailed in to help me achieve our Timeline Goals. Alas, we won't make them even after her hard work.
She has spent three weeks, priming, filling, sanding and then repeating. And it never seems to come to an end. After every session you spot more faults and imperfections. In the mean time I was doing a number of left over jobs, which just went on and on as I tried to prepare the boat for spray painting.
Two days ago I decided enough was enough and we had to, for better or worse, begin spray painting. We were going round and round in circles always finding the next fault and filling, priming and sanding again. Unless we said it was over it appeared that it may carry on forever.
So yesterday we declared that priming is over and Tash began cleaning. This is truly a Hallelujah moment for us. It means we can put behind us nine months of working in dust! We are truly excited!
I've updated our Timeline below, but after all of the help from Tash, I still will unfortunately miss the painting target by, I think a week or so...
In the meantime Manten Marina has started on Deusa's exterior. There is a lot to fill including two windows, sanding down of the hull and the deck comings. They are progressing well, which moves somethings ahead of our plan.
Subscribe by clicking here and Nikita will notify you each time she posts a new blog.
I did a lot of behind the scenes type of work this week, with not much building accept for the galley step.
Just a short video of the beginning of the galley re-fit. That's the kitchen! The galley is the last of the rooms that is a total rebuild, so once I have this underway I feel that the worst of the slog will be behind me. And the worst of the dust!
The first of March and my race to finish Deusa's interior by winter continues. I'm not sure what mid winter is, but I'm going with June/July. This is so much work it's hard to communicate it. Doing this by yourself is a test of character. I wonder if I'm out of my head and out of my mind. Must be. In most of the pictures below you will see the aircon photo bombing. It's a necessary thing! That's why it's there!
Heinz our carpenter didn't last very long. He got into a huff and left, with our deposit. He came up with some crazy stories. Like, his car was stolen, (100 kilometers from the boat), and he says we have to pay for it! Crazy. It's probably best that he is gone. Anyway he left his machinery behind so we will apply to the courts to have it attached and sold for us to get our money back. Tash has already started the process.
But really, I want to be building a boat, not arguing with some psycho.
And so I will continue by myself. I'm making good progress and there's a furniture shop a few blocks away. They will make cupboard doors for us and do some spray work. This will help a lot. There isn't much to show for all my hard work as most of it has been in underlying things that really can't be seen. But that is coming closer to an end meaning that when I do build, it moves really quickly.
Right now I'm waiting for our vanity to be made and various other panels by the counter top people. When I have these, which should be this coming week, I can install them and then measure for further panels. That will be a big leap ahead. In the meantime I have been constructing a new bedroom cupboard
This cupboard is being built in the space where the old Aft Heads was. Sounds simple enough right? Here's a small slide show showing the old heads I removed and rehabilitated the area and started building the cupboard.
After about three weeks of working on our bathroom I'm almost at the point where carpentry can begin. I have built the frame work for the installation. There is still a small amount of painting to do, The slideshow below shows my progress.
Heinz has started as carpenter to Deusa. He has set up all his machinery in the shadow of Deusa under an umbrella. He is currently working on the fore peak heads, (front bathroom). So that's Nikita's space. It's early days and Heinz is slow, but a real craftsman. His work is really good quality. The cupboard he is building now can be pulled out to access the hull and plumbing. It's a cloths washing basket and storage for loo rolls or towels.
I have been working on the aft heads, (our bathroom). I've restored the old workshop/engine room and built a floor and sump for the shower assembly. In the picture below I'm painting it with Flow Coat, which is a resin based epoxy paint. The kind of paint you would paint your fiberglass swimming pool with. Always tight spots on boats.